So, we indulged last weekend. Don’t get me wrong, it was great (we went to Skillet) , but still, it was an indulgence. By Sunday morning we had decided that something healthy, that was vegetarian and packed with nutrients needed to be for dinner. Enter my Spicy Quinoa Power Bowls.
I’ve been making variations of this quinoa bowl for quite some time now, but this version is my favorite. Not only is it a delicious, healthy weeknight meal, but it’s also a great post work out meal. The sweet potato is filling and adds a slight sweetness to the lime flavors in this dish. This dish is very easy to tailor to your own tastes.
Spicy Quinoa Power Bowls with Avocado Cream
- 1 medium red garnet sweet potato, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- olive oil
- 1/2 ear yellow corn, cooked, with kernels removed
- 1 can black beans
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup grape tomatoes, cut in half, lengthwise
- 1/2 avocado, sliced lengthwise
- 2 servings Cilantro Lime Quinoa (recipe below)
- Avocado Cream (recipe below)
- salt and pepper to taste
Cilantro Lime Quinoa:
- 1 cup washed dry quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
Combined washed quinoa with 2 cups water over stove top. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, cover and let sit for 7-8 minutes or until quinoa is fluffy. Add cilantro, lime juice, and salt to taste and stir until combined.
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- salt to taste
Combine avocado with yogurt in food processor. Process until fluffy. Add juice and salt and mix until combined.
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees C. Mix cubed sweet potato with red chili pepper flakes and a little bit of olive oil. Roast until lightly browned, about 20 mins.
2. While sweet potatoes are roasting, make quinoa and avocado cream.
3. Add black beans, cumin, and garlic in a pan on the stovetop and cook over medium heat until tender, about 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Divide quinoa between 2 bowls. Arrange sweet potatoes, tomatoes, black beans, and corn on top of quinoa. Arrange sliced avocado on top, and top with avocado cream. Top with chopped cilantro. Serve with lime wedge (essential!)